Monday, June 27, 2011

Spiritual gifts are Biblical, including the gift of prophecy and impartation by the laying on of hands.






   I felt the desire to write this short note today to those on my Facebook friends list and any others who might read this. In the midst of our current times we are witnessing a great falling away (apostasy) from the faith that was originally given to the saints (see the book of Jude and 2 Thessalonians chapter 2). In one sense I am saddened that I have watched as those who once seemed to be walking so close with the Lord, to have gone away from him and yet they do not know that they have departed. In another sense, I am excited and comforted being fully assured of whom I have believed and that he already told us that these things would come to pass in the time before his return. I am writing this note to explain and make it clear that even in the midst of this "apostasy," I still hold to the fact that the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit are for today. To understand the gifts to which I speak read 1 Corinthians chapter 12 through chapter 14. I generally post a tremendous amount of videos and sources which show the present condition of what many would call the "church." It is not a pretty sight and there are many professing "ministers" who prostitute what they call the gifts of the Holy Spirit. These I mention are being used by demons and are operating in counterfeit gifts. Even some may still be using the genuine gifts of the Holy Spirit but as Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23, "he never knew them." I suppose many of these may have once operated in the true gifts of the Holy Spirit and done many "wonderful works," only to later be given over to a perversion of the genuine. I say this because what I have been witnessing and encountering on a global scale are absolutely 100 percent NOT the gifts of God's precious Holy Spirit! This leads me to why I wrote this note. Again, it is truly a shame that what is now demonstrated as the true gifts of God are in fact sorcery, but even though this is happening there still is the real deal. There is a "TRUE" Biblical model of laying on of hands, prophecy and impartation. It is sad that the enemy has been used to twist the true into perversion and many readily accept the "lying signs and wonders" as being genuine. Many true Biblical principles and words have been dragged through the mud by the enemy. Some of the principles and words include "prophecy, impartation, healing, and speaking in tongues." I do suppose God has most certainly allowed this to happen so that those who are truly of the truth will discern between what is true and what is false. But I know true men of God, one being a true apostle, who have been used in the prophetic, (even in my life) ...gift of "prophecy" and he even spoke over my wife and myself. I still have the prophecies recorded and some written down. I have been given several prophetic words by others as well. Some have been accurate and others have been of the flesh and others have even been witchcraft. But the scripture does not deny spiritual gifts, laying on of hands, speaking in tongues, prophesying, etc. I want to encourage all those who read this to not give up on the believing in the real.

1Ti 4:14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

1Ti 1:18 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;

Rom 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;

1Co 14:39  Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

1Co 12:31  But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Th 5:19  Quench not the Spirit.
1Th 5:20  Despise not prophesyings.
1Th 5:21  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
1Th 5:22  Abstain from all appearance of evil.
1Th 5:23  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

2Ti 1:6  Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
2Ti 1:7  For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Act_6:6  Whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.

Act_8:17  Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Act_13:3  And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Act_19:6  And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Act_28:8  And it came to pass, that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and of a bloody flux: to whom Paul entered in, and prayed, and laid his hands on him, and healed him.

Jas_5:14  Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

Short note regarding cessationists:
I want to add here that cessationists will claim Hebrews chapter one as the basis for not needing the gifts nor the five-fold ministry of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers.

Heb 1:1  God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Heb 1:2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

The above verses do not imply that Jesus has now done away with the gifts of the holy Spirit nor the gifts of the Son (offices).
 
Eph 4:8  Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
Eph 4:9  (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Eph 4:10  He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Eph 4:11  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Eph 4:12  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Eph 4:13  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

 
Obviously, those who claim the gifts have ceased still readily receive pastors, evangelists, and teachers. But they do not believe apostles and prophets are for today. And I will add that verse 12 states that we will need these gifts of the Son for the perfecting of the saints, the work of the ministry, and for the edifying of the body of Christ. We will need them until we come into the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God. This will not be until Jesus Christ literally comes back to set up his kingdom on earth.

See my other blog on the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Being Born Again and the Baptism in the Holy Spirit. What is the difference?




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is much needed and it is the truth! There is and always will be, until Christ comes, the true and the false, even in the beautiful gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bill said...

But how does the average guy tell the difference? It sounds like you are saying, "Those other guys' prophecies are false but mine are true. When those other people speak in tongues it is wrong but when I do it, it's right." perhaps you'd like to clear this up for us. How do we know who is telling the truth? I thionk I know the answer but many do not...Peace bro. Bill Vollrath

Unknown said...

@Bill- no, I am not saying mine are true and theirs are false in any way. The only way to tell is to know Jesus and know his voice. I have experienced both the true and false. Through some time of trial and error, I can now look back and see. Now God has opened my eyes and I can discern the true from the false. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.

Karen Susan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.